It's basically drilled into us at birth that discussing money is everything from impolite to downright disgusting, but I think its important to share what works, what does not work, what mistakes you've made and how you've dug yourself out them. I think we can all learn a lot from each other, so I thought I'd give a peek into what works for us.
I was laid off last February and became pregnant in April. I
did pursue job opportunities, but nothing paned out and after a few
heart-to-heart conversations and doing some hard math (Frankly, I never made that
much money and once you subtract daycare, gas, work lunches/clothes, I would be
paying my future employer to work) we decided I would stay home with Graham until
he starts school.
Because we never really relied on my income, this made the
most sense. We made a few lifestyle changes, including: eating more meals at
home, being more intentional with our spending, and continuing to reduce
student loan debt to free up monthly income.
As far as budgeting, we sat down and calculated what I would
need for groceries, gas, baby and discretionary purchases. That number is
deposited into my account at the first of the month. This keeps me financially
tuned in and gives me a budget to manage.
It works for us, we both like to have control over our own budgets
and it gives us a sense of financial privacy within our marriage.
I check my bank balance on my bank’s app every few days and
now that things have settled down I am working on a few small savings goals. I
recently started to sell books on Amazon for a bit of a side income. My goal is
to make $1,000 and stick it in Graham’s savings account.
We do a modified Dave Ramsey plan for savings and paying
down debt. I’ll try and post more about that in the next few months. I hope this was, at the very least, a little bit interesting.
![]() |
| For me: book business, yoga, blogging! |
Thank you for reading! Happy Monday.


No comments:
Post a Comment