I thought this would be a fun post because I"m a little obsessed with organization and list making. I think I've read, Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, ten times and even did the workbook. Lame, I know. Regardless, here are a few tips and tricks that work for me. I think of it as a follow-up to the post I did about OneNote a few months back.
2. A solid Done List. I keep a pretty
sound weekly To-Do list but a lot of extras and mini-
fire drills come up.I keep a handwritten Done List that tracks the completion of those things. My To-Do
list is all the things I have to get done before I can go home. If I’m done early in the day (best days ever)
I move on to the next days items.
10. White noise maker. There was recently a pretty heated discussion right outside my cube. When people asked if I heard it I said, “Nope.”
3. Lots of snacks and drinks. I love
having good food within reach. It keeps
my mind off food and in a happy place.
4. Have an action plan for bigger projects.
If it’s going to take you longer than 4 hours to complete then you should
break out action items into smaller pieces.
5. Set the Mood. Get your desk and
e-mail organized. Get your project
folders out and organized. Grab a wrap,
hot tea, ear buds and stay focused!
6. Push yourself. If I’m dying on the inside because I can’t stay focused I like to race myself. I give myself 30 minutes to knock off as mini-actions items as possible and then I walk away from the computer. It works for those times where I feel burnt out.
6. Push yourself. If I’m dying on the inside because I can’t stay focused I like to race myself. I give myself 30 minutes to knock off as mini-actions items as possible and then I walk away from the computer. It works for those times where I feel burnt out.
7. Get to work 30 minutes early and like what you wear. The stress melts away when you get an early
start and feel comfortable in your clothes.
8. No Multi-Tasking. It just
stretches you further. Do one thing at a
time and switch every hour. Ie Friday’s
are split between admin tasks and tying off loose ends.
![]() |
| Nothing fancy but I felt comfortable! |
9. Work Steady. A frantic pace makes
for a lot of mistakes in my experience.
10. White noise maker. There was recently a pretty heated discussion right outside my cube. When people asked if I heard it I said, “Nope.”
Happy Thursday!



Love this post! I was recently feeling a bit unfocused and these are all really great tips.
ReplyDeleteThanks! With your new responsibilities at work and school starting soon I'm sure you are feeling all kinds of overwhelmed. I'm super excited for you though.
DeleteThese are great tips. Definitely something i needed on a day when I can't seem to get focused.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I think everyone feels unfocused from time to time. Mine is the worst around 3PM -- I just need a boost or iced coffee :) Thanks for the nice note!
Delete